Sunday, February 14, 2010

YEP IT'S ME AGAIN SAYING THINGS ABOUT STUFF! :)

So once again here I sit in front of my computer feeling somewhat perplexed. I ask myself why am I feeling this way? I guess the whole debate regarding the Olympics is really disturbing me right now because it has opened my eye as to the way that some of the people I know really are. I am trying so hard to stay neutral I am trying so hard to respect others opinions and I am trying so hard to stay open-minded and not fall victim to the herd mentality and hate mongering! I am surprised by how many people I know who are against the Olympics and I lso know some who support the Olympics as well and that’s fine I respect both sides opinion and it is their right to feel the way they do. I have heard various reasons why people don’t support the Olympics and to be honest with you I just don’t know enough about it to just take their word for it and to agree with them. Did these people do their homework? Do they know for certain that what they are saying is actual fact or are they just taking someone other persons word for it? The one thing that life has taught me is whether the information or idea comes from a stranger or friend, before I give my opinion or take sides I first try to do my homework. I try to educate myself and find out as much as I can about the situation as I can and I don’t take anyone word for anything! It is sad but I just find that the Olympics is bringing about such hatred and anger even amongst the people whom I know personally and in my community. It seems to be causing such a division even on line I have even seen loss of friendship over it.

Here is an example a twenty-one year old athlete was killed on Friday during a practice run which was so tragic and I felt so bad for him and his friends and family. First of all it is sad for whatever reason that such a young person should die. He worked so hard to reach his goal which obviously meant so much to him. I don’t know to many people would be willing to devoted that much of their life towards their passion. Most people just talk about doing things but never actually do them. I mentioned this to a friend of mine and they just blew it off and basically said oh well what ever boohoo. I was very surprised at how cold they were. They just basically said well that’s what the media wants to see and to some degree they are right but you can’t eliminate the fact that this person is a fellow human being, well at least I’m not going to. That young man had friends and family and he meant something to someone and now he is gone forever. Even thought I don’t know this man and his family personally I still have compassion for them, if I didn't how could I call myself a loving and decent human being? I am very disheartened by the way my friend reacted to the situation I find it very disturbing that someone could be so cold even if it is someone they don't know!

My mom called me yesterday and was telling me about the protesters in Vancouver. Now if people want to protest that is fine we all have a right to our opinions and the freedom to express them. That is what makes living in Canada such unique and wonderful experience! These people were asked to keep their protest friendly but of course there were those individuals who chose not to. So what do they do they wear masks, which to me indicates their cowardice. If you believe so strongly in something why would you hide behind a mask? You would think they would be proud of what they stand for and show their face! Also these people are destroying other innocent people’s property and the police also found that many of them were carrying alcohol. I would suspect many of them were also under the influence of drugs as well? So these people are protesting with clouded judgment and perceptions. One of these masked individuals told the media that they were doing this for the indigenous people. Ah hello I’m an indigenous person and what I would like to know is how the hell are these people helping me by behaving this way? This is what I mean about people’s head mentality and people feeding off of each others hatred! My father always told me to try to not be hateful. He said hate grows and consumes you with out you even knowing it. Then others start to feed off your hate and the next thing you know an ugly angry mob has been created and he was completely right. I see this happening even with the people I know. Not so much in a violent way but rather in a nitpicking, bickering, getting your digs in and giving negative opinions sort of way and it is tiresome and self-defeating in my opinion.

The day we had the Olympic torch relays go through town I was very excited because a friend of mine was one of those selected to carry the torch. In the twenty-five years I have lived here I think that was the most people I have ever seen gathered in town for an event and I thought the community spirit was so inspiring and it was so much fun to be a part of that. Sadly there were so many people whom I spoke to in person and on my social networking pages who were looking down their noses at the Olympic torch relay celebration. One of the naysayers wasn’t even aware that the town was given a substantial sum of money to pay for the celebrations. So this makes me ask myself, what else are these naysayers not aware of? I just noticed that many of the people who were so negative about the torch relay and the Olympics in general are the ones who are obviously not that happy with themselves or their own lives. They spend their days in their small town sitting in cafes drinking cup after cup of coffee, stuffing doughnuts in their faces and getting bigger and bigger and more and more unhappy with themselves and bitching about pretty much everything around them but doing nothing about it! Why are these people not out doing something more rewarding and productive or fulfilling? Do they not have hobbies or more positive things that they are passionate about? Do they have any passion at all other then the anger that is obviously growing in them? Wow all I can say is what a sad way they have chosen to live their lives. Even though I live in the same small town I don’t ever want to become one of these people.

Everyone talks about how corrupt these big corporations who are supporting the Olympics are and they are right but before we point to many wagging fingers we must all take a good look in the mirror and ask ourselves just how truly honest we are! Can you say that you have NEVER done anything dishonest or corrupt in your entire life? Can you say that you have deliberately or inadvertently caused someone pain? I would suspect that most of us would have to say no. I would suspect that many of us will continue to do dishonest things and find ways to justify our actions because that’s what humans do. So why should these large corporations be any different after all human beings run them.

People complain about the footprint that the Olympics are going to leave on this earth and they are right and I hope those involved are doing everything they can to make that footprint as small as possible once the Olympics are over. Again all these people who sit and complain drive cars, purchase packaged foods, wear clothing and consume and pollute in one way or another. As sad as it is, it is virtually impossible to live a modern lifestyle and not leave a footprint behind. I could go on and on but I won’t because I think I have made my point here.

I am not completely happy with everything regarding the Olympics but there is nothing that I can do to change it . I except the fact that it seems when humankind is involved in anything, even when it is supposed to be something good, there to some degree will always be corruption, it is the nature of humankind. So I will take the good things from the Olympics such as how hard the athlete have worked to achieve their goal! I am proud of them and inspired by them to do my best to achieve my personal goals! I also hope our Canadian athletes win lots of gold metals. Many people who knew nothing about Vancouver and British Columbia are now finding out how amazing it is here. Now this is probably not going to affect my little town a great deal but you never know. After all how many people passed through here on their way to the Vancouver 2010 Olympics? Highway number three does go right through our little town. I want our town to grow I know some people don’t want that to happen they would prefer that it stay this way for ever. Well nothing in life ever stays the same and you just have to learn to change with your surroundings and situations. I learned that very quickly after a careless driver killed my father. My happy life as I knew it while he was alive was changed forever, literally with in a few heartbeats now he is gone for ever and David, mom and I have to learn how to live with that and be happy.

Both my husband and I have been feeling the need to meet some new people and make changes in our life. To become successful at what we do which for me is my artwork and for my husband the music writing method that he has designed. We want to move forward and meet people who are outside of the circle of people we already associate with. We want to meet people who inspire us and are open minded and progressive. People who embrace and encourage change. It would be nice to meet people whom we can have interesting conversations with, with out always having to indulge in idol gossip or speak ill of others. I have a few friends who are like that and it is refreshing but sadly we don’t get together as often as we would like because our schedules are so different but when we do we have a good time.

My husband and I are in a very happy strong relationship with each other and sometimes I can’t help but feel that some people resent how close we are. My parents were very close and they encountered this. Their friends would try to separate them and make fun of them wanting to do everything together. I know it sounds cliche but David and I are best friends and actually enjoy each others company we enjoy doing things together. We wouldn't be with each other if we didn't! My parents were also best friends and their relationship outlasted most of their friends relationships as will David and mine! It would be nice if we could meet couples that are happy in their relationships and actually enjoy doing things with each other instead of always wanting to get away from their partner. I just don’t understand why people stay in unhappy relationships it just doesn’t make any sense to me? For some reason they choose to stay together and bitch about each other o their friends behind each others backs which doesn’t solve anything. It seems that they don’t even want to try to work things out with each other and why? No matter how much you love someone you have to work hard at being in a relationship with them, everything isn't going to just fall into place. After all you are two separate people bringing two separate lives together.

So am I asking the universe for too much? No I am not! I know what I am looking for is out there and that I will find it or it will find me!

No comments:

Post a Comment