Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Feeling Better :)

Admittedly I was feeling a bit down yesterday so last night I when to my studio. I put on an Old Time Radio ghost story podcast and pulled out a sheet of art paper and my favorite 0.3 mechanical pencil and just started to do what I do best. I didn’t work on the book illustrations like I had planned to because I still need an image of a priest from the late 1800’s. I looked on the Internet and couldn’t find an image that I was happy with but apparently mom has a book with some images in it so I will use this. I don’t like to copy things exactly unless of course I am instructed to. Quite often I just use the image as an example, you know for the right proportion things like that.

But last night was for me, I was so stressed out yesterday and I am not too sure why exactly so I just let myself flow artistically and it was very therapeutic for me. I just let the podcasts carry my imagination through the story and my pencil glide over the paper with no particular plan in mind. This is how I draw and I have done some of my best work this way! I am still not finished the drawing but I am happy with it so far. I may finish it tonight before working on the book illustration it's only a small drawing.

Ok so I am not saving lives or doing some great deed for humanity or doing something productive for that matter but I am doing my art and it sure heals my soul and sometimes the souls of others! There is nothing I love more then just sitting in my studio by myself and creating it is very gratifying!

I am in the process of trying to find ways to promote my artwork so my husband and I went to KES and spoke with a woman there yesterday. It turns out that the woman has about the same amount of eyesight as I do. It‘s a small town and I have heard her name mentioned before and new that she was visually impaired but we never met. As I have said before I don’t really go out of my way to meet other visually impaired people.

So here is this woman who has pretty much the same amount of eye sight as I do and she is working in an office helping David and I find resources to promote my artwork and I am thinking boy she is lucky she has such a great job. Then I was very surprised that she new about my artwork and that she really admired it. It always amazes me how many people whom I have never met know me because of my artwork it is very inspiring and encouraging. I guess even though I get down sometimes I just have to keep doing what I do. I must be on the right path.

I guess I was meant to meet this woman because I discovered that for her going through life with a visual impairment presented her with the same obstacles as I had faced and still face. It was nice to see that someone else new how I felt and actually could see it from my prospective which is something sighted people can't do. She was lucky that she grew up here in Creston instead of in Sparwood like I did. She said it was a bit easier for her to get through school here the kids weren’t as cruel to her as they were to me. Sparwood was a horrible place to grow up with a disability but that is where my dad’s work was. Oh well I got through it. Anyway she was just the person I needed to talk to so now I don’t feel so alone.

Even though I was a bit stressed yesterday it seemed like one of those days where David and I just met all the right people at the right time.

No comments:

Post a Comment